Thursday, May 29, 2014

Rolling Thunder

Rolling Thunder comes to DC every Memorial Day weekend. Thousands of riders come here for this celebration that honors veterans, with a focus on POW/MIA.  


While the majority of the veterans in attendance were veterans of Vietnam, there were also people who had served in OEF, OIF, the Gulf War, and even the Korean War. It was like being in a living museum, with everyone displaying their experiences on vests, t-shirts, etc. 

Even D, who is the most conservative when it comes to flashy "So There I Was" type stuff, made sure to rep The Regiment. 

Between the sensitive nature (i.e. this isn't a zoo, people are here for something that means a lot to them), the bikes (not something I photograph on the regular or know basically anything about), and the fact that often those bikes were moving, it was a new photography challenge for me. I really enjoyed it.






I especially got a kick out of the different clubs and sub-groups. If you'd asked me before this weekend, I would not have been able to identify the Christian Motorcycle Association. 

I also got a kick out of all the history. 

And obviously I got a kick out of the various grilled meats. 

I know what each of those words mean individually, but I have literally no idea what this sign is talking about. 



Despite the shiny bikes and various leathers for sale, much of the day was quite somber. 


Anyway, I may or may not have promised D we could ride in it next year. Meaning he'll ride and I will be very interested when he comes home and tells me all about it. 




 OK FINE I'LL SIT ON THE BACK OF THE BIKE. IT LOOKS LIKE A REALLY GREAT EXPERIENCE. 


No comments:

Post a Comment